Re: [OM] IMG: An Unusual Airplane

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: An Unusual Airplane
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:48:23 -0600
I now looked at the photo. It is indeed a turbo conversion of an earlier AC
that used a piston engine, and that was designed for cropdusters. It doesn't
look much like the Cessna, but I don't know about the piper. There have been
a lot of these aircraft, but few with large production.
the nose is lengthened to keep within designed CG. The PT6 is lighter than
just about any piston engine it replaces. There are some strange conversions
out there. Conversion of the Beech Duke makes for what the aircraft should
have been in the beginning, but looks strange. Even more strange, from the
same conversion company, is a turboprop Bonanza. Rumor had it that Beech was
looking at buying that STC and offering it as a factory product. Cessna took
the 421C, an OK aircraft with large geared flat piston engines, and put on
two PT6's to make the 425. It was nice but a little late to the market.

Bill Pearce