[OM] IMG: Thursday Butterfly

Subject: [OM] IMG: Thursday Butterfly
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 06:39:32 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I went on a 12-mile hike in a desert wash yesterday, and at the far end
came across a large butterfly.  It would no let me get closer than about 15
feet, and if I made any sudden of large movements it would fly away.  So, I had
to very carefully watch the butterfly while blindly changing lenses from the
28-70mm to the 75-260mm, which I keep in a belt pouch.  Took the 75-260mm from
the pouch and tucked it under my right arm, then removed the 28-70mm and put it
into the pouch.  Put the 75-260mm on the camera, then adjusted the zoom all the
way out and the aperture down to the full f/4.5, all without looking.  This is
easy to do with the 75-260mm as the control grips are nice and wide.

     I then set the shutter speed and carefully followed the butterfly around
over four acres of boulders, cobble, and brush for about 15 minutes.  Managed
to get all of three photos before it flew away completely.  Only one was worth
using for identification:

<https://picasaweb.google.com/117647316926309333001/PicasaPhotoAlbum?authkey=Gv1sRgCJSmwLq4kMOzJQ#5676325652160024226>

Enlarging the area around the butterfly yielded:

<https://picasaweb.google.com/117647316926309333001/PicasaPhotoAlbum?authkey=Gv1sRgCJSmwLq4kMOzJQ#5676325808741868610>

which is not too bad for a hand-held 260mm telephoto shot.  The butterfly is a
Queen (Danaus gilippus).

Chris

Regards,
Chris