Re: [OM] OT: Madeira

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Madeira
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 15:35:36 -0800
On 11/9/2011 5:32 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> Thanks, Brian.  It is a beautiful place.
>
> We understand that the volcano that formed Madeira lies under the sea around
> 6km south of the capital, Funchal.
>
> And when we walked on the top, we saw the various forms of cooled lava from
> the eruption(s).  But I think it's pretty old and inactive.

I have no idea if this may be true of the Madeiras. The Hawaiian Islands were
all formed as the plate they ride on moved
past a hot spot in the earth below. So the volcanoes on the older islands are
truly dead, as there in no longer any
magma trying to press up below them. As the big island ever so slowly moves on,
Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa will become
inactive.

But fear not, the next island is already moving toward the surface as the hot
spot spawns a new, as yet submerged, volcano.

I seem to recall that a similar process created the basin and range lands of
Nevada.

Moose