Re: [OM] (OM) OT Jet fighters tripping around

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Jet fighters tripping around
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 06:06:04 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > Not to throw too much cold water on English Electric, but
> > the Cessna A37 could do the same thing. It had the magic:
> > More pounds of thrust than pounds of weight.
>

> I'm sure that the A-37 was pretty pokey, but the Lightning
> was in a different class: thrust, weight, speed etc . . .

     The T-57 (?) engines in the A-37 were a vast improvement over the original
Continental centrifugal compressor engine of the T-37 trainer.  That engine was
awful.  You advanced the throttle and waited as the shear weight of the cast
compressor disk took forever to rev up.  You had to think well ahead.

     The A-37 was pretty much made for the South Vietnamese AF, and they proved
to be just as useless as the Fouga Magister trainers that the Israelis
converted to ground support fighters.  They were shot out of the sky like flies
by the Egyptians.

Chris