Re: [OM] Sydney, Australia

Subject: Re: [OM] Sydney, Australia
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:07:02 +1100
Dreadful place - full of tourists! :-)
I don't think we've got any members up there at the moment.
The harbour (yes) is a very large area. I wouldn't consider kayaking in the
central zones unless you want to get run down by a ferry - they're big and fast
enough to have an annual race. However, getting around the harbour zone by
ferry (Manly, the zoo and so on) is a good idea and you can shoot the bridge
from underneath. That same area around The Rocks and Darling Harbour is a very
pleasant walkaround in sunny weather - just get to Central Station. Some bloody
lunatics climb the bridge, walking up the arch, but you'd have to book it well
before you go as it's popular and walk-ups are disappointed. If that's too
strenuous, you can walk up inside one of the pylons and get a great view of the
Opera House part of the harbour from the deck on top.
Transport is good - the white water is in the Blue Mountains and you can get up
there by train quite quickly but I'm not sure how close to the venue that is.
It's a good trip anyway, fairly spectacular cliffs and gorges.
Three hours? I know places where you'd drive longer than that to get a beer.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx