Re: [OM] [IMG] Lighthouse

Subject: Re: [OM] [IMG] Lighthouse
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 09:45:16 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for all the comments yah'l.

One thing tho:  I am not concerned with the lightness of the lighthouse.  Or at
least not yet, since I am still in previsualization process.  So far, I am
dealing with what pieces should go into the picture. I haven't even bothered to
go to the office yet, where the official picture-manipulating computer and
monitor reside...:)

My two favorite formats are the panorama and the square.  When it comes to
former, I am pretty much set on number 4.  Most of the elements are there.
There would be sun peaking under clouds as it sets down, I am not sure if a
streak across the water that starts from the point on the horizon where the sun
would set to the camera (there is a hint of that on the picture now...) would
work in concert with the reflection of the sun on the front window of the
lighthouse which I want to have.  Also, right now it is barely visible, but
there is a tiny bulb shining in the lighthouse, I think I am going to be
needing a bigger one...:)

When it comes to square format, I need different clouds and also different
focal length.  Compositionally, it would most likely look like this attempt to
emulate a picture taken with a cheap plastic film camera:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/On%20a%20way%20to%20the%20grocery%20store/?action=view&current=2.jpg

I picture the lighthouse might be sitting slightly lower and a big, white,
puffy cloud explosion on the background.

I realize that I wont have the opportunity to just go and shoot the picture
with all those elements present at the same time...it took me seven years of
everyday watch to get to this point and it is still not perfect.

In the previous message I forgot to talk about the most important thing:  My
picture taking experience...I just had few minutes during which I switched back
and forth between the A200 and the X700 film camera that my sister-in-law
handed me not long ago and I bragged about on this list.  It is interesting to
see how some habits dont die that easily...

I have not touched film since 2005, but after taking only couple of pictures
with the X700, I was constantly looking for the film rewind lever while using
the A200.  And I couldnt stop myself from doing it.  How weird is that?

Once again, thanks for all comments and suggestions, please keep them coming.
Also thanks for the lessons on cloud nomenclature...:) and AG, I'd like to see
these pictures too.

Boris

The fourth one, just a little lighter, would be perfect on my screen.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA