Re: [OM] (OM) Upgrade to E-30? (I did!)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Upgrade to E-30? (I did!)
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 15:06:00 -0700
I hear what some of you are saying re. the K-5, but I'm not convinced.
Sean Reid of ReidReviews.com (subscription site) noted the autofocus
problems, especially when shooting a dance performance. And there's this:

<http://falklumo.blogspot.com/2011/03/lumolabs-pentax-k-5-low-light-focus.html>
which refers to this (very technical):
<http://www.falklumo.com/lumolabs/articles/k5focus/index.html>

So it's not just a bunch of Internet buzz blaming Pentax, there is some
solid evidence. People in the E.U., such as Nathan, are probably
encountering less tungsten light. The E.U. is well into phasing out
tungsten bulbs, far ahead of us in the USA. And a friend of mine with a
K-5, which I tried briefly, noted the same issue.

Given all that, I was not comfortable shelling out big bucks for the
beginnings of a new system that has an issue, exactly where I was
looking for an improvement over the M8. Especially since the lens I
wanted most, the 31/1.8, was quite expensive. If Pentax can fix the
issue with a firmware upgrade, I will reconsider. But it's possible that
the problem is hardware-related, and can only be fixed in the next
model. Only time will tell.

So I decided to upgrade to the E-30. It will be relatively inexpensive
once I sell the E-510 to partially offset the cost. It matches what I
already own, but gives me a more usable viewfinder and a better
all-around camera. Since Oly is probably not going beyond the E-5 in 4/3
DSLRs with a mirror, the E-30 will probably keep more of its value for
the next year than the out-of-date consumer E-510. So I can probably
recoup much of the cost of the E-30 if things change re. Pentax, or if I
decide to bite the bullet and go with a D700 or 5D. But given current
realities, I thought an upgrade to what I already have made the most
sense. At least it keeps me in the Olympus fold. :-)

--Peter