Re: [OM] (OM) Upgrade to E-30? (I did!)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Upgrade to E-30? (I did!)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 06:49:16 -0400
I'm not sure why the Pentax K-5 should have trouble autofocusing in dim
light since it has a built-in AF assist light.  However, the operation
of that light is controlled by a custom setting but is normally on.

Maybe those complaining have turned it off.  Or possibly the people
complaining were attempting to use the built-in assist beyond its range.
  No doubt the built-in AF assist light on the Pentax flash units has a
longer range.  These can also be set to disable the flash but still
allow the AF assist beam.  I couldn't find specs on the range of either
Pentax AF assist light but Canon flash units typically have an AF assist
range of 10 meters.  I use the old AF film era Canon 540EZ flash unit
primarily because it's capable and cheap but also because it has a 15
meter AF assist range... the longest Canon has ever made.

Dr. Flash (AF assist)