Re: [OM] Chuck is seeking travel suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Chuck is seeking travel suggestions
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 21:06:05 -0700
I'll second much of what has been said here.

The route over Wolf Creek Pass is a nice drive. Was just over it myself the
summer before last, where just below the summit heading from Pagosa Springs
towards Del Norte, we had a coyote saunter on by just like we weren't there.
If you stay on 160 on through Bayfield until you pick up As for the Million
Dollar highway, Silverton and Ouray, I can't recommend the area enough.
Beautiful drive, and special to us as my wife's family was some of the early
folks in the area, many having been miners in Silverton and some towns now
non-existent.

The route through Wolf Creek Pass, however, misses the Million Dollar
Highway and Silverton by a long way to the south and east, taking you
towards Durango, so you'd have to double back to pick them up. Instead, you
might consider taking US50 out of Kansas, and then south on 550 after the
black canyon of the Gunnison. Lodging choices abound all through the Ouray,
Silverton and Durango areas, as well as a good chance to view the Durango &
Silverton NGRR in either of its two namesake cities. I'd personally opt for
the US50/US550 choice if I had not been in the area before.

If you head towards the Four Corners region and Utah from the Durango area,
you should definitely make a stop at Mesa Verde NP. It's definitely worth
the stop. From there, CO41 turns into UT162, thence across a short stretch
of US191 to US163. UT261 will take you north towards Natural Bridges
National Monument (when you reach UT95) which has a short loop drive that
allows seeing a number of the natural bridges without a bunch of hiking. A
note of warning about UT261 however, which we took in the opposite direction
this past July. A portion, known as the Moki Dugway is nothing more than a
bladed gravel road. Perfectly passable in a regular automobile, but NOT if
towing a trailer or driving an RV. That section, north-bound, rises some
1000 feet in only 3 miles, literally carved out of the edge of the plateau.
We came down it, heading south, and it was pretty impressive.

Stay north and west on UT95 and you'll pass through some pretty incredible
scenery of red rock canyon in the Glen Canyon National Rec Area. At UT24 in
Hanksville, turn west and you'll eventually reach Fruita, UT, in the Capitol
Reef National Park. Capitol Reef is a little gem of a park, and was
virtually devoid of people when we went through in the early morning.
Through the park takes you to Torrey UT, and there's plenty of lodging
there. We stayed at the Sandstone Inn which was reasonably priced, but
nothing special... just a comfortable room and, from what I'm told a decent
restaurant (although we ate elsewhere). There are also other lodging choices
in Torrey.

The above sections, from Durango on west, take you by the less-travelled
roads, with lots of gorgeous stuff to see that many folks will never have
the pleasure of having visited.

>From Torrey, the road immediately opposite the Days Inn and Sandstone Inn is
UT12. Another gorgeous drive, first over fairly high altitudes and mountain
forests, and eventually to high desert areas around Escalante. Escalante is
in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Be extremely careful
travelling through on 12 however, we saw two does with fawns crossing the
highway just ahead of us near enough to have to brake, and there are
numerous areas of unfenced range with plenty of cattle wandering along
highways, although they mostly stayed off the road. Road speeds are low
(with good reason, beyond just wandering critters), however, so I wouldn't
consider the drive dangerous. 12 eventually gets you to Tropic, and to Bryce
Canyon NP. Lots of wildlife in Bryce when we drove through, and somewhat
crowded near the Visitor's center, although it thinned out nicely if you
drove the park road from 12 towards the end.

You'll eventually meet US89 while on UT12, and taking 89 south will lead you
to Mt. Carmel Junction. At Mt. Carmel Junction, you turn west on UT9 to
travel through Zion National Park.

A more northerly route bypassing the SW portion of Colorado would take you
via US50 to US550 north, and eventually to Grand Junction, CO. Pick up
US50/I70 west there, through Fruita, Co, and you can take US191 through
Moab, UT towards Bluff, UT. If you get anywhere near it, do not miss Arches
National Park in Moab. One of my very favorite National Parks, and you can
see much without hiking, although some very easy hikes will let you see a
whole lot more. Continuing south towards Bluff from Moab takes you through
some other lovely scenery, and eventually lets you follow the earlier
detailed route omce you reach US163.

Either way makes a heck of a trip, and you can plan your days knowing
there's lots to see on all of them, and making longer or shorter driving
days as you see fit. Some of these areas I've seen many times now, others
only just once, like the UT95/UT12 section we travelled this past July. I
can guarantee you that I'll be visiting most of them again.

About the only drawback to travelling the route east to west is that you'll
tend to hit the various parks towards the end of the day, and in my
experience, if you're better served if you can plan things to ensure seeing
them earlier in the morning (like, right after opening), especially as the
days get shorter in the fall. It's therefore worthwhile to plan stops near
the parks as you approach from the east, so that you can pass through early,
which is a bit more difficult to do than when headed west-to-east. DO invest
in a National Parks pass. Even the annual one is a far better deal than
individual park fees, and if you're over 65 (I think that's the cut-off) a
life-time pass is dirt cheap. Order ahead for the pass, or just pay for it
at the first park you visit. See the National Parks web site for details.

---
Scott Gomez