Re: [OM] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:53:43 -0700
On 9/12/2011 1:21 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Take this shot in overcast light, and it's just nothing.
>> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/Garden_Summer_2011&image=_MG_1851ia80.jpg>
>>
>> Would even the bee make this one interesting in the shade?
>> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/Garden_Summer_2011&image=_MG_1852cria60.jpg>
>>
>> I could go on, but here's just one more example of luscious tones, shadows
>> and shades that wouldn't be there without the
>> direct
>> light.<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/Garden_Summer_2011&image=_MG_2656cr.jpg>
>>
>> More in this
>> gallery.<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/Garden_Summer_2011>
>
> Moose, I don't mean to be nitpicky on your photos,

Why ever not? Pick away. If I only listen to myself, I'm unlikely to learn
anything new. Hey, I learned what 'planking'
is just this week.

> but these seem to
> have the midtones a little too supressed. Even though you protected
> (mostly) the highlights and kept the high values intact, the midtones
> are too low. The flowers are just too heavy and not lyrical enough.
> Raising the mids a 1/2 stop would really wake these up.

I feel like I'm forever fighting an unwinnable battle with an unknowable enemy.
I try to set tonalities while looking
straight on at my monitor, 2/3 of the way up, 'cause that's supposed to be what
it's designed for, I think. When I stand
up, everything looks too light. Slump down in my chair, and it all gets darker.

I do profile, but that's for color only, it doesn't really set brightness to
any absolute. Then even if I get my setup
right, and use it correctly - What's going on at the other end?

Rant over.

Anyway, I do appreciate you looking and offering advice for improving them, and
I do intend to look at them again with
that in mind. But probably not right away. So much going on at the moment.

Lighter Moose