Re: [OM] Paph Orchid Series Continues

Subject: Re: [OM] Paph Orchid Series Continues
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 07:39:59 -0400
I recently bought an old book entitled "Image Clarity" with a sub-title
of "High Resolution Photography" by John B. Williams, Focal Press 1990.
  I just got it a couple days ago so certainly haven't read it much
beyond skimming the contents.  But I did take note of the last couple
pages which are a section titled "Diminishing Returns".

In that section he supposes a hypothetical camera/lens/film system
capable of resolving 100 lines/mm or what he calls "a system of superb
quality".  But in the hands of a rank amateur with no photographic
training the likely result will be no better than 5-10 lines/mm.  In the
hands of an experienced photographer (working hand held) typical results
will be about 20 lines/mm and with very careful technique (such as Ken's
"between heartbeats") hand held results may reach 40 lines/mm.  The same
experienced photographer working on a tripod may routinely reach 80
lines/mm but many photographs will not.  Camera motion (even on the
tripod) will be one but not the only reason for failing to get above 80
lines/mm.  Lens faults, diffraction, focusing errors, micro vibrations
within the camera, ground vibrations on long exposures will all play a
part.  With extraordinary care and massive camera support, careful lens
and aperture selection, extreme care in focusing, etc. it may be
possible to achieve 95 lines/mm in field work. In the studio with even
greater control it may be possible to reach 98 lines/mm... but not
necessarily consistently.

Ignoring the problems of Bayer array interpolation, a 12.7 MP Canon 5D
sensor can resolve about 60 lines/mm.  Allowing for the Bayer array it's
something less than that.  Proportional to the 5D sensor, 40 lines/mm
for the very careful hand held photographer equates to about 6 MP... a
number I quoted the other day from another source.

Chuck Norcutt