Re: [OM] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 10:46:57 -0400
I recall reading an article somewhere, I think on the web, about ETTR being
necessary with digital because the highlights contain far more information than
the shadows. If you play safe and ETTL, you're missing boucoup detail. The
trick is to figure out how your histogram when chimping relates to your
histogram when working with a raw file. For me, it generally means my ETTR is a
little under what it looks like it ought to be, because if I push it all the
way right, I get blown highlights. If I back it off just a smidge, it comes out
right. Remember, that chimping histogram is not the RAW histogram; it's
generated by an in-raw .jpg.

This is way too technical. I'm getting a headache.

--Bob