Re: [OM] Light meter

Subject: Re: [OM] Light meter
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:35:03 -0700

> In the case of your photographing flowers with dark backgrounds, I think
> this would be another classic example of what I'm talking about. The
flower
> would occupy the central segment, which is a tiny fraction of the whole
area
> being computed in for the center-weight averaging. Inotherwords, it isn't
> weighting the central zone heavily enough.
>
> However, this is an example where ESP would have made a big difference.
ESP
> assumes that the central part (or active focus point) is the subject and
> will adjust the overall exposure to protect it.
>
> Your example is of a worse-case, too. Those white flowers with the
> Kodak-Olympus sensors are a real pain.

    All of which indicates that a hand-held light/exposure meter is probably
a good choice, rather than trying to remedy the in-camera metering
difficulties.

    I looked at a number of exposure meters on eBay, following all the
suggestions that were made.  Finding that Weston Master 715 on eBay this
morning was nothing less than shear luck, and I'm looking at a few others
that have similar functionality, probably indulging in just one more.

Chris