Re: [OM] IMG: More Insects, New Approach

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Insects, New Approach
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 09:11:24 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> That shot was very difficult, because of the lighting.  The
> b'fly was in deep shadow. while the sun shone through as
> backlighting.  In trying to bring up the shadow areas, I
> probably went a little too far in my attempts.

     I carry with me a small collapsible reflector and diffusor for situations
such as this.  A professional photographer I know once had an assistant wearing
a white T-shirt stand next to a subject to even out the lighting as he had run
out of reflectors.

     The diffusor helps to reduce the effects of sharp shadows when subjects
are out in full sunlight.  Earlier this year I had a situation where I needed
to photograph a very dark plant (Burro Weed Strangler, Orobanche cooperi) that
was growing in a plot of light coloured sand in full sunlight.  I had a fellow
stand such that he cast a shadow over the spot, then used fill flash to bring
out the features of the plant.

Chris