Re: [OM] Zuiko 100 F2 does flowers

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 100 F2 does flowers
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 08:14:53 -0500
> Incidentally, I'm testing a borrowed Zuiko 100/2. I know I *will* be
flamed
> by this but, so far, it hasn't impressed me... The previous, technical
test
> (on M4/3) showed up good performance, but not as stellar as the Macro
90/2,
> at least within far subjects. Having into account other practical issues,
> can't justify purchasing one:

Throughout the years, on this list, there have been many, many comparisons
between the 90/2 and 100/2. If a person were to have just one of these
lenses, the nod would probably have to be given to the 90/2--that's been the
general consensus. However, that isn't the full story. I believe that it
depends so much on the photographer and the photographer's working style and
subjects. I do portraiture and event photography to help pay the bills. My
typical working distances are more in line with the "sweet spot" for the
100/2. Other advantages of the 100/2 over the 90/2 include size and
ergonomics, excessive contrast and overall uniformity. But the reality is,
the 90/2 and 100/2 are so close together in overall specifications that you
really wonder why Olympus created both.

> -The (silvernosed) 100/2.8 is equally compact and definitely sharper at
max
> aperture, but it loses a full stop for a negligible focal length increase
> :-(

Here is where I disagree. The focal-length may seem like a subtle
difference, but to me it is huge. But the 35/100 focal-length combo is my
ultimate favorite. For event work, my film configuration is now this:
OM-4T/MD2 with 35-80, OM-4T/MD2 with 100/2. 24/2.8 in pocket for swap out
with the 100/2. The focal-length difference between 80mm on the zoom lens
and 100mm feels huge.

> Maybe the tested 100/2 is a bad copy...

Just as with the 35/2, I wonder if there was some sample variation. I know
that this 100/2 sitting on the desk next to me is sharper WIDE-OPEN than the
DMC-L1 is able to capture. Yes, I know... Only 7.5mp, but those are
exceptionally sharp 7.5mp comparable to the E-3's 10mp since the AA filter
is almost not there. My E-1 just shrugs its shoulder (only one shoulder on
the E-1) and says "whatever".

Ease of focus is one of those areas where the 100mm focal length really
shines. I find that the 2-series focus screens seem to respond much better
to 100mm than 80mm. With either of my 100mm lenses, when you achieve
critical focus the image on the screen just snaps and goes all crunchy. The
35-80 will kinda do that but not with the same attitude.

AG