Re: [OM] Irene

Subject: Re: [OM] Irene
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 06:27:25 -0700 (PDT)
I am glad you didnt have to do it too, Chris.  Irene gave me a test of what
really a hurricane force can do.

I live just a few hundred meters to the right of the police car on this picture:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/Irene/?action=view&current=20.jpg

Had it been as strong as they predicted, the wall would have been destroyed and
the playhouse in my yard would be swimming while decorated with that nice huge
branch on the top.  BTW, there was a similar wall in front of the blue house
with the steep roofs that got swept away.  It was about 40m long and 1.5m tall.

Still I like most of my neighbors think that this is a small price to pay for
the privilege to fall asleep to the sound of the sea and foghorns every night.

Boris

Thanks, Boris.

I'm glad that you are enjoying it.  But you can be sure that there are many
people regretting, again, their having built a house on the coast.

We had hurricanes threatened while we were living and working in Tampa.  I
would have had to go to work, had one been on its way up the Gulf coast, to fly
an F16 away from the danger, leaving my wife to fend for herself. There was an
aircraft for each pilot, so it was necessary. She was not impressed at this
idea, so I'm glad that I didn't have to do it . . .

Chris