Re: [OM] IMG: Insects on Flowers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Insects on Flowers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 06:32:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> I don't know about CorelDraw but in PhotoShop Adobe Camara Raw one can
> just use the color temperature slider to do color correction.

     I'll have to look into that.  None of my three graphics programs
(CorelPaint, Microsoft Photo Editor, Adobe Photoshop) have that feature.  I was
hoping to find a software equivalent of gelatin filters to use as overlays in
Photoshop.

> Why limit yourself to a fixed temperature conversion?  The
> only reason those filters are fixed is that there was no
> other way to do it back then.  Having ACR for color
> correction is more powerful than having the entire set of
> Kodak Wratten filters.

     I learned to use the Wratten filters with a Kodak Retina IIa many decades
ago, and I quickly learned that there is both science and art involved.  Your
mind corrects for the ambient colour temperature but the film doesn't, so you
have to consciously understand the true nature of the ambient light on the
subject, and then know how to correct for the difference.

     The E-500 will shift colour temperature, and it will also emulate a few
colour gelatins for B&W.  However, I decline to use any of those features and
instead use the camera as though I were shooting Kodacolor 100 or 200.  The
technical knowledge (science) and intimacy (art) that resulted from years of
learning with the Retina IIa and later the OM-1 are things that I simply do not
want to surrender to the fancy calculating machine (computer).

     Same goes for enhancing B&W for botanical photos.  Enhancing foliage with
green filters is one thing, but enhancing dried grasses is entirely another.
I'm still looking for a #16, #21, and #22 in 62mm to add to my arsenal, but
those rarely show up on eBay at reasonable prices.

Chris