Re: [OM] IMG: More from the Airport

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More from the Airport
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:05:56 +0100
That's truckie rubbish, Ken; I'll have nothing to do with it.

Actually there are marked similarities between sailing and flying: currents,
winds and weather, of course, but the way you handle a boat requires similar
techniques.  You look to the front and steer by noting the movement of the
bow/nose.  In addition, they control runs, cables, pulleys and other components
suffer similar imperfections: play and backlash, for instance.

If I have a student who has sailed I have someone I know will be easy to teach:
they will understand the need to use the aircraft's attitude, to rely little on
the instruments (at first) and to use the controls while observing the result.

I first realised this some years ago with a pretty blonde student who is now on
advanced flying training on Hawks, soon to go to Typhoon or Tornado.

Chris