[OM] Granite Bay Software: Timelapse Flicker causes and cures

Subject: [OM] Granite Bay Software: Timelapse Flicker causes and cures
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:08:28 -0400
None of my digital cameras except the recently acquired Samsung WB650
P&S are capable of doing video.  But even then I haven't used it (except
accidentally) since I don't have much interest (or knowledge).

But over on the Yahoo Kiron list someone posted some very interesting
time lapse video taken with an EOS 550D (aka Rebel Xti) and an adapted
M42 lens.  The videos were mostly night time shots of Budapest and
London.  The Budapest shots were quite beautiful but were bothered by
quite visible flickering about every 25-30 seconds.

The guy who created the videos attributed the flickering to some unknown
defect in the chipped M42 adapter.  Since changing to an unchipped
adapter he's had no more flickering problems.  But all of that led to
some interesting discussions of what might be causing flicker in time
lapse photoograpy which produced this excellent link this morning.  Even
if you have no particular interest in doing time lapse photography you
might find the technical aspects mentioned here of great interest.

<http://www.granitebaysoftware.com/Support/Tips/TipFlicker.aspx>

Chuck Norcutt