Re: [OM] Zuiko 100 F2 does flowers

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 100 F2 does flowers
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 12:09:06 -0500
> True, but a well made 35mm lens such as the Zuiko 100/2 has very few
> sins of any sort in the central portion of the image.

There are several things I've specifically look for in testing lenses.
Some stuff can be determined through using a crop-sensor camera, the
rest through film. What most don't realize is that when you look at
the corners of an 4/3 image, you're actually quite a ways to the edge
of a full-frame and definitely hitting the point where the optics
start falling apart. Sure, you don't get the extremes, but you do get
a good idea of the general fall-off in performance a lens has. Very
few lenses are good across the majority of the image area and then
fall apart only at the margins. FourThirds isn't JUST giving ONLY
central analysis abilities.

When shooting images on film, you do get to see the relationship of
the corners to the center, as well as other doodads, but once that
relationship is established, you can look at the central portion from
a digital crop-sensor image to get a good idea of what is really going
on.

Just finished uploading my 2012 budget. Almost 900 line entries. Maybe
now I can get around to some testing.

AG