Re: [OM] mount mod: nikon/canon to OM

Subject: Re: [OM] mount mod: nikon/canon to OM
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 09:46:12 -0700

> >     I have not been able to use the M42 mount on the E-500.  With the
> > adapter I bought the overall length of the base is about 1/10" too long.
> > Perhaps I bought an M42 to OM 4/3 adapter that was too thick?  I've been
> > meaning to make my own T4 to OM 4/3 adapter, but if I could find an M42
> > adapter that is known to work I'd be interested in knowing about it.
> >
> >     Many of the sellers on eBay claim that their adapters will let you
> > focus to infinity, but they all appear to be the same excessive
thickness
> > that prevents you from focusing to infinity.  I did, however, come
across
> > one just now (#190566655352) that is much thinner, and it might work.
If
> > so, then it further opens up my options for lenses.  Anyone have any
> > experience with this particular mount adapter?
> >

> The M42 to 4/3 adapter that I use came from Fotodiox, and bears the
> inscription "M42-OM(3/4)".  I have used it with several Pentax lenses on
the
> E-510 and E-1, and have no problem focusing to infinity.  The only problem
> had with it was caused by the way it is assembled, using two parts held
> together with set screws in the rim.  After it loosened up a couple of
> times, I marked the two parts so they could be reassembled accurately,
> separated the parts, applied 4 drops of Superglue to the mating faces,
> aligned them and clamped them, then reinserted the set screws.  I have had
> no problem since I did that.

    That sounds exactly like the M42 to OM 4/3 adapter that I have.  If I
use it on a Vivitar 400mm f/6.3 T4 lens with the M42 mount adapter and then
that M42 to OM 4/3 adapter, it comes out about 1/10" to 1/8" too long and I
cannot focus to infinity.

    I did a quick test with that lens, leaving off the M42 to OM 4/3 adapter
and just holding the two together placed on a rolled-up towel.  With a gap
of about 1/20" to 1/16" the focusing works fine out to infinity.  So, I
bought one of those thinner adapters.  Funny, but nobody else on eBay has
that thinner one.

    This is quite lucrative, as I have a number of the Vivitar T4 series
lenses.  These things are built like tanks and weigh about the same.  Even
the focus and zoom grips are machined aluminum.  The 400mm f/6.3 is massive,
and the later 400mm f/5.6 in the TX series is a bit larger.  My favourite
telephoto zoom is the 75-260mm TX.  It and the 400mm f/5.6 TX have tripod
mounting collars, which lets me attach a Mobilgrip to them when being used
while stalking subjects.  The 90-230mm also has the tripod ring, but the
100-300mm doesn't.

Chris