Re: [OM] E-P3 anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] E-P3 anyone?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:02:31 -0500
> You'll not be happy with the 12mm and the upcoming 45mm then - both look
metal but don't feel it.
>  'Metallic finish' I believe are the weasel words employed.

Well, that isn't always bad. The Canon AE-1 was built that way. The
finish/body was remarkably rugged. Nobody new it was plastic until somebody
eventually brassed theirs all the way through the fake finish.

But all this does bring up a point. The classic OM Zuikos (and bodies)
really are in a league of their own. It's almost unfair to compare them to
today's tinned-over plastic wonder-bricks. If you want a real camera with
real metal, you can always buy the E-5, but that's not necessarily an
option.

At the moment, we're really in a strange limbo. Olympus has killed off
Four-Thirds, but just hasn't set the tombstone on the gravesite yet. The
Micro Four-Thirds line is no where near complete as it is aimed squarely at
the consumer-electronics crowd. Canon is almost directionless with their
cameras and what direction they are going is unknown right now. Nikon is
also not sure what to do with a micro-body line. Fuji hits the ball over the
fence with the X100, but that's not really a solution either. Panasonic's
Micro Four-Thirds cameras are only marginally more serious than Olympus',
but only marginally as their engineers must have really tiny hands.

It's tough right now because the only non-DSLR "concrete block" that I can
recommend is...

AG-Schnozz