Re: [OM] Some new data points, was: XP Printer advice.

Subject: Re: [OM] Some new data points, was: XP Printer advice.
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 23:21:54 +1200
Davidt wrote
> I was a big fan of AVGFree, Spybot & AdAware - I uninstalled them all &
> replaced them with MSE on my XP machine (and in the xp partition of my
> work laptop). When I built my W7 box, MSE was all that I installed for the
> AV/AM function.
>
> I do keep a copy of MalwareBytes around though- just in case I need
> it... this is a very useful tool for post-infection cleanup.
I used AVG for a long time but found it very clunky and took ages to update.
I've replaced it with Avast which is much quicker and seems to be as
effective.

The problem with Spybot is one of its main programs "Teatimer.exe" which
several computer Techs (well, two anyway) told me is a memory-hog. So it
has gone.
I replaced it with MalwareBytes which seems to be OK. I seem to have very
few problems from adware.

I removed Lavasoft Adaware because its updates were so hugely large and
for some reason the downloads always failed.  I'm running XP.

Brian Swale.