Re: [OM] XP networking - it was the @$%^* router after all

Subject: Re: [OM] XP networking - it was the @$%^* router after all
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 21:21:56 -0400
rant on stuff....

One problem I have in my house is the Electromagnetic pulse from Lightening.
I have ethernet cables running all over, and any strike close to home, which
happens at least several times a year, can zap stuff. When a tree was hit in
my front yard, it took out my verizon FIOS box. I was hoping fiber to the
home would help, but no, the tree was split and the ethernet running
vertically from top floor to garage was enough of a pick up, it zapped
everything, even leaving burned markings on the ONT. (optical network
terminal).

We had installed a Thermosal Steam unit in a new shower. Lightening
hit somewhere out back and ever since the steam unit is broken. It is under
warranty. They used unshielded CAN bus cables. I have been working with
them now for 4 months, replacing nearly everything, but their system
just will not work. The protection they put on their interface is pitiful.

All embedded system devices today are getting to the point of such
sensitivity, that once they fail, it is hard to diagnose and very subtle.

Anyway,.. the take away is that if you have any equipment with long
wires attached to them, and you go through some of the storms
I've seen this year, they can easily get zapped.

And some stuff just fails over time, especially if they run hot. Everything
now is Flash memory based, the embedded micros have flash. It does
not take that much to corrupt them.

Wayne