[OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.

Subject: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:57:53 +0100
Chuck said:
<Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:24:04 -0400
From: Chuck Norcutt [1]<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] [OT] Win XP networking advice needed
To: Olympus mail list [2]<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

My wife has finally returned from our UK adventure.  She arrived back 2
weeks later than me since she was traveling with her girl friend on the
Queen Mary II rather than flying.

She had taken our Dell laptop computer with her.  The laptop, along with
my Dell desktop, constitutes our household Win XP local network.  I
replugged the laptop back into the same wired router connection it had
before it left, internet access came right back and I thought I was done.

Then she complained that she couldn't print something.  Ah, how stupid
of me.  While she was gone my ancient Brother laser printer had run out
of toner and I decided that the drum unit probably wasn't far behind.
Time for a new laser printer.  I replaced the old Brother laser printer
with a newer model and all was well.  But I had forgotten to uninstall
the old printer driver and install a new one on the laptop after she got
home.  No problem.  Install the new driver.  No dice, no printing.
...>

Chuck
I am not clear how the printer is attached.  Is it plugged into the desktop or a
 separate item on the network?
If the former, after installing the driver, have you checked where the laptop th
inks the printer is?   In my experience with XP, and using a hint found on the w
eb,you have to fudge the situation and tell the XP machine that the printer is a
 local printer but tell it the port is  <desktop>\<printername> or similar.
I have got an XP base unit without but it is not connected to a monitor at the m
oment having just replaced it for my wife with a W7 unit.

Brian Gray