Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 33, Issue 21

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 33, Issue 21
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:36:20 +0930
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 08:55:02AM -0500, Ken Norton wrote:
> I believe the stats are a little misleading. From the perspective of the
> end-user, the access device OS statistics are pretty accurate, but when you
> factor in the server farms, especially for Internet services, Linux pretty
> much owns the world.
>
> AG

The article itself says there are no valid statistics & reading
indicates that they have drawn the stats from unreliable sources (e.g.
WWW browser responses - which often report a generic response - and CEO
speeches!). I can see the difficulty in collecting valid statistics,
both of my desktops were built from new parts & I bought one copy of
windows. I downloaded a free UNIX installation DVD from a public
archive, as do most linux users so there are no 'retail' figures to
apply to the percentages.  How many of the retail purchases of 'OS only'
were used as upgrades, retiring a copy of XP or Vista? How many of the
laptops/desktops with preloaded OS were immediately wiped & loaded with
Linux/UNIX as soon as they came out of the box? How many 'retired'
machines that were unusable under the weight of the old OS  have had a
new lease of life under one of the linux/UNIX variants?

I find it odd that they would include mobile phones and tablets in the
laptop & desktop stats, but I suppose this is going to become more
prevalent.

It should be noted that just about every virtual server device runs
Linux or UNIX as the base OS under the virtualisation, and many servers
use a secondary control processor (e.g. a 'lights-out' manager) which in
the case of most manufacturers runs some variant of an embedded Linux.

davidt