Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 33, Issue 21

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 33, Issue 21
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:06:51 +0200
In the real world, developers write software for the OS that people actually
use.

If you look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

You will see that Windows has a share of 86%, MacOS 7.25%, Apple IOS 2.8%, with
Linux, Symbian, Blackberry etc. sharing the remaining 4%. So, despite the
elitist attitude you display, that  "market space" just is not very interesting
unless you are a hobbyist or a charity.

As for "great free software", I have tried Open Office as an alternative to MS
Office and while its performance  was acceptable (not great, acceptable), I am
one of those people who lives in the real world and has to share relatively
complex documents, spreadsheets and presentations with people who use Microsoft
Office. Therefore, compatibility is key, and OO just does not deliver it. It
may be 98% compatible, but I need 100%. Fortunately, thanks to my employer's
Microsoft's Home Use Program I can buy the full MS Office suite for €12.50 for
use on my computers at home, both Windows and Apple. And Apple's verions of
those programs (which are 100% compatible), Numbers, Keynote and Pages, are now
available from the App Store at very reasonable prices, something like €15.
Life is good. Linux is a solution looking for a problem, at least as far as the
desktop is concerned.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman