Re: [OM] (OM) Resolution question

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Resolution question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 08:27:22 -0400
I'm with Piers.  You haven't given use enough information to be able to
evaluate the photo.  As he says, we don't have the full image in order
to evaluate this piece in context.  One question in my mind is what was
the focal length and shutter speed.  If I look at lower left I see a
light colored rectangle.  I don't know what it is but its edges seem to
be much sharper than the branches of the trees.  If the focal length is
long enough and/or the shutter speed slow enough what we may be seeing
is motion blur of the fine branches in the breeze.

Finally, evaluating a full pixel crop is a pretty tough test.  I
normally view and evaluate images on-screen at 25-30% of the resolution
required for a given print size.  You describe the image as a "lossless"
crop but it's certainly not lossless at the pixel level if what we have
is a JPEG.  Also, we don't know how or if this image has been sharpened.
  Even a moderate amount of sharpening makes a big difference to this
image.  If this image was a JPEG straight out of the camera then it has
had sharpening applied according to the camera's settings.  If it was
originally shot in raw and you haven't sharpened it then there is a flaw
in your process.  Digital is not film.  *All* digital images require
sharpening after image capture (including scanned film).  The camera
will do it for you if a JPEG (using some not necessarily correct
assumptions about the final size of the image).  But you are responsible
for the sharpening if shot in raw mode.

Chuck Norcutt