Re: [OM] Mosquito Science and Metaphysics [was Totally OT -TickRemoval]

Subject: Re: [OM] Mosquito Science and Metaphysics [was Totally OT -TickRemoval]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:38:28 -0700
On 7/15/2011 8:38 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> One of the nicer non-advertised features of being in England and
> Scotland was no skeeters.

I think you may have been moving too fast to notice when you came through these
parts. We have almost no biting,
stinging, chewing, etc. bugs hereabouts. If a mosquito (yes, one) gets in the
house when we leave the door open on a
nice evening, we get all flustered.

BTW, we got the weather you wanted on the coast last week. Low 60s to low 70s
along the coast, with the marine fog layer
mostly pretty far offshore. It did come in one night and didn't burn off 'til
about noon. Otherwise clear and temperate.
Of course if the weather report had been for fog on the coast and moderate
temps inland, we'd have camped elsewhere. :-)
   It was sort of weird standing on a particular headland we visit often in
just a cotton shirt and not having to brace
against the wind or being cold.

And the 'skeeters were terrible in the redwoods where we camped, maybe as many
as 4-5 an hour, and slow enough that I
splatted most of them, even caught a few in my hands. Fortunately, I can
sometimes feel them land on my skin, and
usually feel when they start drilling operations, so I get very few itchy bites
- none this time.

> Whilst in London and in Scotland we slept with the windows open.  Generally
> quite necessary as it was quite warm.
> It's a good thing there are no skeeters since there are no screens.

Might you have the causality backwards?

Moose