Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAD 7/7/2011: camera test

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAD 7/7/2011: camera test
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:00:54 +0200
Hi Nathan and all,

Now that I'm out from lurk mode...

LOL! The GF1, the M8, and now the X100 -- it seems we have similar taste
about digital cameras ;-) But no, I'm not attracted by the Pentax -- or any
DLSR for that matter. I'm waiting, however, for a PRO-level m4/3... or any
other EVIL. Just for the tele and macro chores.

I agree with every thing said here about the X100: it's quite quirky indeed.
But the _quality_ is there (especially the lens, with a nice, _beautiful_
classic rendering) and the aperture/speed/exp.comp. dials are a JOY to use.
Let's hope a future firmware (its Achilles heel) upgrade puts most things
right...

Once it has focused _and_ measured light, shutter lag is virtually
non-existant -- I mean _way_ faster than any EVIL or SLR, film or digital.
And completely silent. The hybrid viewfinder is amazing, and a godsend when
shooting at public events, in case your exposure is ruined by a flash from
other pedestrian camera... (no, I don't like chimping)

Flash? Me? With f/2 and such nice high-ISO performance? (although it seems
like one-stop overrated to me). Sure, there are cameras with better high-ISO
quality... but none of them will fit a (largish) pocket ;-)

By the way, those from your test were Fine Pix (pun intended ;-)

Enjoy it (as much as I do). Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)