Re: [OM] OT - UK cell phone usage

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - UK cell phone usage
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:30:59 +0100
On 30 June 2011 12:10, John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hopefully a UK listee can answer a short question about UK cell phones.
>
> The SIM card in my Vodaphone cell phone expired last April after the phone
> had remained inactive for more than 90 days. The phone, complete with the
> now expired SIM card, was purchased from a Vodaphone retail store. I do not
> need a new phone [It's small ..10cm x 4cm x 1cm]. I need a new SIM card.
>
> Is it likely that my phone's technology limits its usage to Vodaphone SIM
> cards or is it just a generic phone that would work equally well with a SIM
> card from Orange or any other UK cell phone operator?

It's unlikely that the phone is irreversibly locked to the Vodafone
network, and may not be locked at all, though it probably is since it
was purchased in one of their stores.  There are places in the UK
which will unlock a locked phone, for a small fee, so that it can be
used with a SIM for any network.  Simplest route of investigation I
suspect is to borrow a non-vodafone SIM from a friendly resident when
you're over here and see if the phone will connect to that network,
then give the SIM back.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer