Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 29/5/2011: under the table

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 29/5/2011: under the table
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 11:28:22 -0500
Sorry, I'm a little late to the party on this sharpening discussion.
I've been paddling this work canoe pretty hard this week. Now I
understand why the voyagers sang with a loud voice. It was to cover up
the sound of clunking someone else over the head with the paddle.

There are few things that truely irritate me when I'm looking at a
picture. Noise-reduction artifacts on JPEG files being one. Sharpening
halos being another.

I've gotten where I don't handle seeing pictures, either nicely
printed or on calendars that have halos. I don't give a rip of the
halo is "just" one pixel wide. I can see it and it is not at all
pleasant to me. Granted, I sometimes let one through on zone-10, but
it's something I really try hard to prevent.

To me, hard edges in an image look better if they have a nice fillet
to them. Think about solder on a circuit-board. A nice fillet looks a
lot better than a hard-edged blob. An over-sharpened image looks like
that hard-edged blob.

So many pictures today have the crunchy look to them. For some stuff,
especially images of technical items, this is quite acceptable, but
for other stuff, it's like taking a cheese grater to my eyeballs.
Especially portraits.

AG