[OM] Off-Topic: If you are going to irritate me, at least do it right

Subject: [OM] Off-Topic: If you are going to irritate me, at least do it right
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 13:35:39 -0500
So, I'm eating my lunch at the local park, enjoying the beautiful day. I'm
just about finished up and ready to head back to the office when some young
guy in a Chevy Malibu pulls up into a nearby parking spot and proceeds to
make my ears bleed with his subwoofer whumping away.

I sit there for a moment between the waves of nausea when it occured to me
that there was something wrong with his system. Loudness wasn't the problem,
but it just sounded like mud being pumped through my eardrums. So I got out
to investigate and talk to him and his buddies for a minute.

Uh oh. Old guy coming!  Nah, not THAT old and maybe my ponytail will help
make me appear a little more cool than the average middle-aged guy.

So, we're looking at his subs and his amp. I notice a couple of things that
would improve stuff--like upgrading his newly upgraded wiring, as well as
the DC power source. The 3000 watt amplifier was being starved. But that
wasn't the biggest culprit. I changed position so the sunlight glinted off
the cones and I could see that they weren't moving in sync. Well DUH! No
wonder it sounded like mud!

Anyway, so a few tweeks and it started sounding a lot better. Still bad, but
I helped him identify several things to improve and fix. Where to add
insulation and what to change. My only concern now is that if he actually
fixes the identified problems that he'll literally crack his windows from
the percussive impact that a time-aligned and adequately damped sub would
give.

Man, I really need to build up my own boom-car. I hear that there are
competitions.... But I'd probably need to use a UPS Truck to do it the way I
want.

AG (Of course, I'd use a remote control) Ears