Re: [OM] (OM) OT words

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT words
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 08:14:32 +1000
The Moke had a really heavy sump guard - necessary in the 10' wheel models like
the one I enjoyed. In Aus we also produced a 13" version with more ground
clearance - for some odd reason it was called the Moke Californian.
As to space - I've never been svelte and I always had more than enough room for
comfort in the driver's seat. Only very tall people had problems.The seats were
pretty basic in early models but not uncomfortable. The boot/trunk lid dropped
down and had supports so you could have large loads resting on it. A box on
wheels. It was designed for city driving and you needed to be determined to go
long distance - I drove my Moke from Melbourne to Sydney and back on one
holiday and that was challenging but not unpleasant. Lost a windscreen in the
Tarcutta Gap.
Some points in the engine bay were hard to reach but compared to a modern small
car, it was a doddle. I could do a head gasket myself in just under an hour -
when I had to have one done on an Astra in the UK a couple of years ago, it
cost me a bloody fortune!
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx