Re: [OM] [OT] In depth SUV scientific based analysis (was TotallyOT

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] In depth SUV scientific based analysis (was TotallyOT
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 17:57:26 +0100
Couldn't agree with you more about question-beggars, Bob. You may wish to
impart to EW that for communication to be effective, it must be mutually
understood (by speaker and spoken-to) to mean the same thing. You can't be
sure of that being the case if you use "beg the question" in that way - 'cos
you, me, Andrew and Chris will misunderstand. Be sure, we *will*
misunderstand, on a point of principle!

Another couple for you to mull over:

Every "easily recognised" image nowadays seems to be "iconic".  I think we
need to set an iconoclast on that one.

And every moderately difficult task is described as having "a steep learning
curve" which is completely the opposite and converse (yes, both of those,
together and at the same time) of the true meaning - that in the given
occupation one learns a great deal very quickly. Difficulty or ease is
beside the point!

Hmm, this is much more satisfying than mere apostrophes!

Piers