Re: [OM] [IMGs] Yosemite gallery growing

Subject: Re: [OM] [IMGs] Yosemite gallery growing
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 10:17:52 -0500
Moose, I don't mean to be critical, I really don't, but I know you would and
have done the same for me.

The Hetch Hetchy photos, as well as the waterfalls photos, have the sense of
you "mailing it in." These are more "record shots" as well as "Kodak Photo
Spot" shots than something that feels inspired or inspiring. The
compositions are stilted and the overall package of shots was substantially
touristy. Not bad, mind you, but I felt like I was sitting through Uncle
Fred's slide show of his trip to the mountains, except we didn't have any
popcorn and ice-cream. I probably would have been OK if I had a bowl of
popcorn.

The mid-day lighting didn't help. I recognize that, so it isn't just you (or
me). You were also using a new camera which means that you were exploring
camera capabilities and new shooting options rather than actually seeking
the "different" which you are so good at. Maybe we all are a bit spoiled.
Your previous Yosemite gallery is so good, that these photos stood out to me
in their starkness.

As harsh as this sounds, please understand that there is a broader issue
here. I'm using your photographs as the illustration for this problem which
I also suffer and suffer to a great extent. How do you go back and
rephotograph something with an all-new inspiration after having successfully
created what may be the pinnicle of your life's work? We're delaying our
Colorado trip due to scheduling issues, but how do I go back to a spot and
come up with an all new fresh approach without just plagerising previous
work or losing interest and taking "I was here" pictures? One method I was
going to use for myself was through limiting my options and extensively
using just B&W with a couple of focal-lengths. This would force me to see
the world not for just what it is, but for how I want to represent it.

There is a fine line, though to all this. When I look through the
viewfinder, I ask myself "Have I seen this picture before?" If the answer is
yes, then I try something different. The risk, however, is not capturing
anything because every shot is a rerun. There are only so many ways the
photograph the valley from the tunnel view overlook.

I suspect that you were either rushed or not feeling the greatest on this
trip. You captured "pretty pictures", or maybe "pictures of a pretty place",
but they lacked the "pretty pictures of a pretty place" aspect or anything
that caused me to come to a screeching halt.

I'm only bringing this up because of the broader issue.

A Critical Schnozz