Re: [OM] [OT] In depth SUV scientific based analysis (was TotallyOT

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] In depth SUV scientific based analysis (was TotallyOT
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 21:27:11 -0400
The English language, like many other languages (Spanish, Italian, French,
German, Turkish, Dutch, Polish, etc) uses the Roman alphabet, which was
originally used for the Latin language. Its not so well suited to many of
the languages that came to use it, but its so deeply ingrained in our
culture after centuries of use, that it will never be changed.

In Russia, the Communists simplified the alphabet and the spelling of the
Russian language in the 1920s in order to make teaching people to read
easier. The Turks adopted the Roman alphabet in the 1920s because it was
better suited to their language than the Arabic alphabet used previously
(thus easier to learn to read and write). Both countries at the beginning of
the 20th Century had near universal illiteracy that their governments
decided to eradicate through mass education....which was achieved, and was
made possible by adopting easier writing systems.

Since nearly every English speaker can read and write thanks to nearly 200
years of universal public education in the USA, UK, Canada, and Australia,
most people are already using the old cumbersome system we have, and are
used to it. Reforming our spelling and alphabet would be hugely unpopular
because it would make people change. In countries where few could read,
change is easy to impose, since few have to 'un-learn' the old ways.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook