Re: [OM] Feeble attempts at getting it out of my system

Subject: Re: [OM] Feeble attempts at getting it out of my system
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 16:54:15 -0400
I think most lenses are too sharp for a portrait... at least for the
skin.  I routinely soften skin if it doesn't otherwise get softened in
retouching blemishes.  Also, the skin doesn't get sharpened along with
the rest of the print.  In fact, most of the print doesn't get
sharpened, only the eyes, brows, lips, nostrils perhaps and jewelry.  If
the background stands out too much it might also get the opposite
treatment with a bit of blur thrown in.

I have a fairly thick photo book called "Skin" by Lee Varis which I've
been intending to read for the past year.  So far I think I've only read
two chapters.  Seems to have some promise but I keep forgetting to pick
it up again.  I just went and located it and put it in a place where I'm
more likely to remember and pick it up again.

ps:  Although I do clean up blemishes and do soften the skin and
wrinkles a bit I am not of the plastic skin persuasion.  Yecchh!

Chuck Norcutt