Re: [OM] IMG: Adult Cicada

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Adult Cicada
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 17:32:13 -0400
I recall something similar with crickets in San Antonio in 1965.  My
wife and I had driven into town to see a movie.  While walking to the
theater suddenly the ground was crawling with big 1-1/2" crickets...
about one every square foot.  It was almost impossible to walk without
stepping on them.  And, of course, the cars driving down the street were
making poppety-pop-pop-poppety-pop-pop sounds as they ran over hundreds
or thousands of them.  The next day the newspaper reported numerous
accidents on I-35 in the center of town as the road got slick as ice
from all the crushed crickets.  We'll always remember walking past a
high-end furniture store.  There were just as many crickets inside as
outside and clearly visible crawling all over the new furniture in the
showroom.  My wife does not like bugs and sat with her feet up on the
seat in the theater since the theater also had lots of crickets crawling
around.

It was my understanding that this was an extremely unusual event but I
think it has happened more than once.  Once was enough for us.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt