Re: [OM] Fence + Green Grass = Myth

Subject: Re: [OM] Fence + Green Grass = Myth
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 10:01:24 -0400
It's possible that Massachusetts is worse.  While I was not born in
Massachusetts, my father and his progenitors had been there since (as
near as I can figure) about 1635.  When I moved to the Boston area in
1995 (and couldn't properly pronounce my town's name Woburn as Wooob'n)
I did definitely notice that I was not treated anything like a local.
While waiting for dinner at a local restaurant one night I struck up a
conversation with an apparent local and mentioned the aloof treatment.
Surprisingly, he agreed.  Seems he wasn't as local as he needed to be.
His wife was from Woburn but he was from Winchester, the town on
Woburn's southern border.  He said they had been married for 20 years
and had lived in Woburn all that time.  But, he said, "I'm still treated
as a carpet bagger".  :-)

Chuck Norcutt