Re: [OM] (OM) Mushrooms in Spring (g)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Mushrooms in Spring (g)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 00:46:11 +1200
Andrew wrote

> You don't need a book - just an eastern European friend or two.
> My Polish co-workers used to preserve quantities of Slippery Jacks in the
> season. Some families of students would take a day off mid-week to go
> collecting in pine plantations. Young puffballs are delicious too, just
> when they emerge. I've tried them but I don't know enough to identify the
> right kind.

In the absence of that eastern European friend or two -  -   -  a good book is
a very good idea !
There are some species (and in Australia too) that look just like a good
edible species.  But which are deadly poisonous.
They take no prisoners, and it can be a painful one-way road. Or so my
book says. I know the chief author, and he is a world-class expert.

Even when not deadly, they can be painful; there is a species very close to
Slippery Jack, which, if alcohol is consumed 24 hours before or 48 hours
after eating, yields painful stomach cramps etc.
All worth knowing about in advance, IMO :-)

Brian Swale.