Re: [OM] Firefox 4 problem noted by Fernando

Subject: Re: [OM] Firefox 4 problem noted by Fernando
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 20:30:10 -0700
Download firefox add-on "tab mix plus". Works great to control tabs in many
more ways than Firefox offers. I've been using it for years now.

Also, you might like to add Adblock Plus. I rarely see ads in the browser
anymore. :-) Be sure to enable an appropriate ad "subscription" (which just
serves to update the block list now and again). Ads that get through can be
easily blocked for the future from the browser as well.

Others I use: NoScript, which helps block various scripting exploits and
other annoyances. A bit to tech-y for many, but pretty inobtrusive once you
get it tweaked, and good at stopping lots of commercial crap that tries to
change, control or otherwise screw around with your browser..

What's the tide? Handy for coastal dwellers or for just keeping up on the
tide state at your favorite beach. Puts the tide at your selected location
in the bottom status bar.

Domain Details, also adds to the right end of the status bar, and shows
server type, headers, ip address, location flag and links to whois info.

All work flawlessly, or at least they have for me.

And finally, if you're one of those who is reluctant to give up Windows
because there's that one program you occasionally use that you just can't
find a linux replacement for...

Install Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager. Desktop edition (Officially called
"Open Source Edition", I believe) works very well and allows one to install
run XP, for instance, in a window under Ubuntu, Fedora or the like. Set up a
shared folder (easy!) and you have seamless transfer between Windows and
Linux on the same box, without dual-booting. BTW, A full XP install
typically takes some 6 hours from boot to fully patched when running native
on the hardware. When running the same XP install in a VirtualBox VM on
Fedora and Ubuntu, you can have the whole thing done in about 90 minutes.
And no, that is NOT a typo. Windows applications install as normally and run
at near-native-speeds. Windows performance can be tweaked, also.

And the final pluses? You can "snapshot" your Windows install at any (or
multiple) points. Got infected or Windows got screwed up? Just revert to an
earlier snapshot and in a couple of minutes, all is well. You can also back
up your entire Windows VM as a simple file copy portion of your home
directory backup of your linux system.

You *could* go the other way round, too, and install the Windows version of
Virtualbox, and then install linux as a virtual, but... that would sort of
defeat the whole purpose of a more robust and recoverable installation now,
wouldn't it? :-)

---
Scott