Re: [OM] Free Canon S95 (ridiculous conditions apply)

Subject: Re: [OM] Free Canon S95 (ridiculous conditions apply)
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 16:11:39 +1000
Remember this?

On 1 February 2011 17:05, Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just to left of there:
>
> http://twitpic.com/3vccqy
>
> over the rail, under about 2.5 feet of deeply tannin-stained water,
> and drowned leaves, bark and deadwoood fairly thoroughly hand-stirred
> but evidently not thoroughly enough, lies an almost brand new Canon
> S95 just waiting to be collected. I can provide GPS coordinates if
> required.
>
> Photographer tip: when putting iPhone back into small camera bag,
> ensure you hold camera bag the right way up. ~sob~

Yeah, well, today, three-and-a-bit months later, we rode down and
stopped there once again on our way through, and there was the Black
Creature From The Lagoon poking his head out of the muck. The swamp
water had dropped sufficiently to finally show it, and, with me having
spent a few times, as the water lowered, wading in that very area with
bare feet searching, I don't know how I could have missed feeling it,
but I did. So, after 3 months submerged in a tannin-y, muck-bottomed
dune swamp/lagoon, this is what an S95 looks like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/parknmeter/5705729933/

A letdown really...not much different, just some muck and an
interesting rainbow-effect around the lens (leaked oil? swamp oil?).
Yeah, I know, the rice...but after searching for so long I never
really expected to find it again as where it landed slopes into the
deep swamp which is never dry and too deep for wading. But I did find
it, so, I'll give it a burl. No harm, and if it doesn't work I'm going
to be happy putting it on the bookshelf with a few family cameras, as
a momento to my stupidity (that, and I can't throw a camera away,
other than accidentally obviously).

The card in it was fine. It had nothing special on it, but it works
and I downloaded the images, which isn't bad for its time under water.
It's now in the rice too, just to see if there's more dampness to
extract, though I probably won't use it again.

So a photographically good day, even without much in the way of photos
(plus I had my first ever macaron, pistachio, discovered at a Peregian
Beach pâtisserie and an absence from my culinary experience I can't
really explain seeing as I've always known they'd be right up my
alley, and it was).

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz