Re: [OM] Freedom, How cool is that!

Subject: Re: [OM] Freedom, How cool is that!
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 09:18:43 +1000
On 07/05/2011, at 1:10 AM, Ken Norton wrote:

>  There were children involved and
> of course, this being a commercial project, model releases had to be gotten
> for everybody. The MR issue turned out to be a bigger deal than expected
> because we literally had to get stuff signed while chasing moving
> vehicles...

Depends what you mean by 'commercial project'. If it is art or editorial, you
wouldn't need releases and the definition of editorial is pretty broad.
Recently iStock has introduced the Editorial category for images without
releases. The test shots I do for the magazine does not need releases - only
the cover shot and advertising photographs need them. The concepts of 'public
interest' and 'public gaze' are fairly wide. This sounds like a community
project book of some sort and so releases would be moot. But if the pastry
company is doing an advertising project - doing it in an uncontrolled street
event seems like a recipe for disaster!

> Something else which is worth an observation or two: Responsiveness. We were
> dealing with lots of children. "The Decisive Moment" isn't some cliche, but
> actually a real thing. Granted, having to manual focus puts a bit of
> pre-setting of the camera in place,

I always suspected that the 'Decisive Moment' was an invention by some art
critic who never picked up a camera. If you are shooting with  a film camera
with no auto and no meter, it's about the only way that you CAN shoot well -
unless you're one of those Leica geniuses who could guess the exposure by
lifting a wet finger and pre-focus before lifting the camera, without looking
at the lens. I've never met one - did they really exist or was it some kind of
in-joke?
HCB notwithstanding, isn't that the way that all good photogs used to work?

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx