Re: [OM] Fotodiox flops [was OM to EOS adapter]

Subject: Re: [OM] Fotodiox flops [was OM to EOS adapter]
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 20:45:41 +1000

> I now have a Nikon to EOS adapter from another seller. It has a similar
> problem, but just different enough that I'll be
> able to correct it with Dremel and/or file.

Yeah, seems to be a common problem with cheap adapters (maybe even with the
more expensive ones), reading Moose's post tempted me to correct the
problems myself.

Over the last few weeks I've got several micro 4/3 adapters and replacements
from the sellers when they didn't work correctly, all with pretty much the
same problem:

1. Leica R to m 4/3, the typical adapter with a split section to provide
tension, obviously the split section was spread too far and wouldn't
compress as the Leica R lens was mounted.  I was able to compress the split
section with pliers and the R lens would then mount.  This will probably
require further "adjustment" after some use as it loosens up and has no
resilience.

2. Olympus OM to m 4/3, slightly different design with separate springy
pieces under the main bayonet to provide tension.  Unfortunately the sprung
sections were badly shaped and just blocked the OM lens from mounting.  I
removed the bayonet mount and reshaped the springy bits with pliers,
reassembled the adapter and it's ok.

What really annoyed me was that the sellers did not test the adapters before
sending the replacements !  When the replacements didn't work for exactly
the same reasons as the originals they just offered refunds - not interested
in solving the problem.  I wonder how many of these adapters just hit the
rubbish bin (trash can).

...Wayne