[OM] Some lens testing - Emf chip on OM=>EOS adapter

Subject: [OM] Some lens testing - Emf chip on OM=>EOS adapter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 02:51:10 -0700
The whole Fotodiox adventure started with my interest in seeing how some old
Nikkor lenses performed.

Today, I did some simple testing of three 200 mm lenses on the 5D. First round,
the results from my Zuiko 200/4
convinced me I must have mis-focused it. Another round . . .

Looking at center and edges, f4, 5.6, 8, 11, the ancient "NIKKOR-Q Auto 1:4
f=20cm" soundly whipped my Zuiko 200/4. The
Zuiko 200/5 rather closely matched the Z. f4 at f5/5.6, f8 and f11. Yes, the
Nikkor is bigger and heavier, but it's sure
sharper. I don't know if I have a poor copy of the Zuiko. It's in excellent
cosmetic shape, has clear glass and no signs
of trauma of any kind.

While I was at it, I tried out some long lenses:

Tokina 600/8
Tamron 500/8
Zuiko 300/4.5 with 2xA = 600/9
Tokina 150-500/5.6 @ 500 & 400 mm

The Tokina mirror was clearly the best, followed at some distance by the Tokina
zoom and Tamron mirror. The Zuiko
combination was soft and had terrible color fringing.

I recently bought an Emf chipped OM=>EOS adapter. It's kind of a pain to
program, using up lots of shutter cycles. I
used the old 300D for that. I wouldn't want to be switching it from lens to
lens very often. It does work as advertised.
I've got it set up for 600/5.6, as AF confirm doesn't work on most Canons below
f5.6. Set at f5.6 (whether the lens
really is or not), focus confirmation works, in that the light lights up and it
beeps pretty much when it's in focus.
The chip allows micro adjustment, but that looks like lots of time and effort
for little reward to me.

Adjust the camera to f8, and Av or Manual gives correct exposures and writes
the correct stuff to EXIF. I also used it
on the 200/4 and 200/5, and it did the same for them.

It will live by default on the 600/8.

Moose