Re: [OM] tube vs ss amps

Subject: Re: [OM] tube vs ss amps
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:59:59 +0000
Yes, I concur with Ian's info. SS amps have much more damping factor, hence
cone-control, than any tube amp, generally.  But if you get wrapped up in
specs like that, or even care about damping factor, you are missing out on
the whole purpose behind tube amps: the sound.  Specs-wise they may be
wretched compared to SS amps, but specs are for weenies anyway, most of the
time. Good sound is very difficult if not impossible to objectively describe
via technical specs. It's much more subjective and organic than that.

FWIW I've built several tube amps and other tube-related pieces of gear, and
worked on SS and tube amps a fair bit, plus built my own multi-way horn
speakers, etc.