Re: [OM] Camera Purchase-First Cut

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Purchase-First Cut
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:35:10 -0400
It's not clear whether you performed one of the most important tests on
the Sony which is to see how fast and accurately it can focus in low
light.  The behavior of the Sony says clearly that it is using an
interline sensor (ala P&S and live view cameras) vs a full frame sensor
as typically found in DSLRs.  (full frame in this context does not refer
to the sensor size).  That live view sensor gives you marvelous feedback
on focus and exposure but has a big drawback in that it depends on
contrast measurement on the image sensor vs. phase detection in a
separate autofocus sensor.  Phase detection has historically been much
faster and more accurate than contrast detection.

That said, from what I read it appears that Panasonic has figured out
how to do contrast detect autofocus with speed and accuracy approaching
(but not yet equaling) that of phase detection systems.  It also appears
that Olympus has not yet done so.  I have no idea where Sony's
technology is on contrast detection focusing.  It might be great but I
think you'd better give it a good working over in low light before you buy.

The Minolta A1 is a superlative camera.  One of it's greatest features
is that it uses a P&S type interline sensor and gives that same sort of
instant feedback on focus and exposure.  But one of its worst features
is that it uses a P&S type interline sensor and is totally unable to
focus in low light conditions.  Notice I did not say focuses slowly... I
said it's unable to focus.  The only thing that saved it in certain
conditions is that, due to its very great depth of field, one could use
hyperfocal methods, pre-focus the lens and then tape it in place.  The
A1 is at least 6 year old technology.  The Sony should be far superior.
  I hope it is.

Chuck Norcutt