Re: [OM] Late Winter Zig-Zag

Subject: Re: [OM] Late Winter Zig-Zag
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 20:50:50 -0700
On 3/26/2011 1:27 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Hummmm . . . good composition, and technique, but not my cuppa. Looks
>> overexposed to me, though when you examine individual areas you see detail.
> Well, I can't say that I exactly like the snow, but it's not like I
> had much choice in the matter. I'm processing a shot right now of a
> railroad crossing. Honestly, I'd rather be photographing Andrew's
> subjects.
>
> As to the overexposure... The sun is shining and it is a high-key
> subject.

Again, I probably wouldn't have commented. Just as I didn't when I really
disliked Drifted Snow.
<http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1&limit=12&limitstart=12>
But you seem to like shape/textural abstracts with large areas of blown or
undifferentiated highlights, and who am I to
keep carping? ;-)

> I wanted to keep it a bit high-key without washing it all out.
> When cranking things down, it just didn't look right and turned
> to mud. But, maybe some more curves adjustments...

Still, this one is nicer, to my eye, than Drifted Snow, and you opened the
door. :-P
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/late-winter-zigzag-zx.htm><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/late-winter-zigzag-zx.htm>

The first step is to give it some grounding with stronger deep shadows The next
two steps are just to adjust the
histogram to recover the abundant textural detail in the all highlight areas.
Too dark, so the next step lightens it.

Next, sharpening to give that sharp edge that we see in fine detail against
snow, sky, etc. Still a bit too dark, so one
more tweak. Now very high key, but with grounding and textural detail.

You may not like it, but I like it better.

Changeable Moose