Re: [OM] Printer cost vs. inks

Subject: Re: [OM] Printer cost vs. inks
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:51:06 -0700
On 3/29/2011 12:27 PM, ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I took a walk down the main aisle of Walmart just before Christmas and they
>   had tons of inkjet printers for $35. But I'm not sure, it may have only
> come  with just the black cartridge. A color cartridge is $35!

I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this. "Freebie" marketing,
selling stuff below cost or giving it away, to
make profits on the disposable supplies, goes back at least 100 years, With
King Gillette usually getting the credit -
or blame - for inventing it. It was a major part of Kodak's marketing model for
many decades.

That it happened in printers is our (in the large sense) own fault. When the
first brand tried it on, we could have
bought other brands. We didn't, the guys with the lowest first costs started
gaining market share, so everybody had to
follow suit.

The was to compare printers now is to compare costs with a full set of inks.

Too Many Printers Moose